Wednesday, October 5, 2011

S&I Graduates Celebrate Studies and Testimonies

“The Church’s Seminary and Institute of Religion is an inspired program from a loving Heavenly Father. It is designed to bless the lives of young people here – and everywhere around the world,” state Elder Larry and Sister Karen Harris who have just attended the last of more than a dozen graduation programs in the islands and countries of the West Indies Mission.

In ceremonies before Church leaders, parents and S&I instructors, 269 students in both programs received Certificates of Course Competion; 20 were awarded Seminary Certificates of Achievement; 13 Seminary and 4Institute students received 4-year diplomas for completing year-long studies of the Old Testament, New Testament, Book of Mormon and Doctrine and Covenants. In addition, five Institute students received Certificates of Advanced Achievement for completing two additional years of study beyond their 4-year Institute degree.

How much of an impact does S&I make on the lives of students? An institute student from Guyana shared a personal experience in his graduation talk. He heard about Institute soon after his baptism only two years ago. “I wanted to go but was embarrassed because I couldn’t read or write. I heard a voice telling me ‘don’t go’ but I listened to the promptings of the Holy Ghost instead. I went to institute and through studying the scriptures – and with the encouragement and support of my institute teacher - I taught myself to read. I know the Book of Mormon is true because I have read it.”

In Sangre Grande, Trinidad, a class of four young men met with their instructor each morning at 5 a.m. Two of the boys graduated recently with 4-year diplomas. The third student received a Certificate of Course Completion and the fourth, a new member of the church, received a Certificate of Course Completion for Doctrine and Covenants and a Certificate of Achievement. The four friends celebrated their graduation together with enthusiasm and are now planning to submit mission papers as a group!

“S&I programs help young men and women develop their testimonies, encourages them to serve missions, create their own forever families through temple marriage and become leaders in the church and in their communities,” added the Harris’ who have shared CES responsibilities in the West Indies Mission with Elder Robert and Sister Sue McIntosh. The Harris’ provided support to S&I programs in Trinidad/Tobago, Barbados, Guyana and Suriname. At the same time, the McIntosh’s, who finished their mission and returned home in August, shared their love of the gospel with S&I programs in Grenada, St. Martin / St. Maarten, St. Vincent, St. Lucia, French Guiana, Guadeloupe and Martinique.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sister Sappington,
My name is Joanne Payne and my son will be arriving in the WIM next week! I don't know if you even look at these comments but I thought I'd comment anyway. I love this site and have checked it regularly since my son got his call back in May! It looks like wonderful things are happening in the West Indies! What a great place to serve.
Ok, so for the main purpose of this comment. You know I will be checking more frequently next week to see that picture of my son go up! I'm sure there is a reason you started posting individual pictures of each missionary, but I SO loved the ones where they are standing with the President and his wife. Those happy smiling faces brought me so much joy, and I would show them to my son each time they were up. You could just see their eagerness and happiness to serve (can't see that as much in the individual shots you must have in their files, well you can, but you can't see their excitement to finally be there!). Anyway, I joked with my son that I was going to ask you to post the other picture if you could. I figure it can't hurt to ask and if the other pictures go up, you know I will be happy to see those.
Just a little request for me and Elder Payne!!
Thanks for all you do in keeping this site updated, all you do for the missionaries and in serving the Lord. I have to say seeing all the couples in this mission has got me excited to serve with my husband....maybe in 10 or so years when my other 3 boys have served!
Thanks again!!
Joanne Payne
MM to Elder David Payne
Farmington, New Mexico